Friday 9 March 2012

Orange longlist & a poem

Congratulations to all those longlisted for this year's Orange Prize, the only one I've read is Gillespie and I by Jane Harris, which I loved (though Victorian novels do not usually appeal to me), it is quirky with just the right amount of sinister, unputdownable. And I will definitely seek out some of the other titles, half the writers are new to me - I love that it took ten years for Madeline Miller to finish The Song of Achilles. Years ago, I very much enjoyed Ann Patchett's Bel Canto, and I've also read her, perhaps, controversial memoir of friendship, Truth and Beauty, so State of Wonder does intrigue me. I almost got it on Kindle, but then read mixed reviews. You should, of course, always try a book out for yourself, only you can know if it's your kind of thing. I've just started The Return of Captain John Emmett by Elizabeth Speller. Only one chapter in, but so far so good.

I also link to Miriam Levine's wonderful poem, which brought me to a Lorca poem I did not know, and an opera I did not know.

3 comments:

Mim said...

Thank you, generous Nasim!

Tabby said...

Hi Nasim, I just wanted to drop a line and tell you how much I loved "The State of Me". I found it absolutely wonderful, brilliant writing.
I don't have ME, but have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (on top of a long list of autoimmune disorders), and while I've only been "properly" diagnosed for 18 months, I have had it for nearly 13 years, it's just no doctor had ever bothered to connect the dots! I'm sure you are well versed with that :)
I've been published myself (non fiction education books) and hope one day I'll get around to writing that best-seller. Maybe. When I'm not too tired perhaps ;)
Anyway, enough waffle, thank you for being an inspiring and refreshing writer. It's so good to read the truth about what chronic fatigue conditions are like and how real people cope. Best wishes.

nmj said...

Most welcome, Mim!

Thanks, Tabby, glad you enjoyed TSoM! It took about 16 months to get my diagnosis if I remember correctly, which, in the scheme of things is prob not that long, but I was extremely ill at the beginning and getting worse as time went on. No one had heard of ME back then and I hope that is encapsulated in the novel. I remain grateful that I got my diagnosis before certain psychs got involved (early nineties in UK) and diluted/hijacked the criteria for neuroimmune illness with their own agenda. Sorry to hear about your own health probs, and best of luck with your writing!