Monday 27 September 2010

50 Stories for Pakistan


Very happy my short story 'The Bangle Man' will be among the soon-to-be published 50 Stories for Pakistan, a fundraising anthology for victims of the floods. The collection will be published by Greg McQueen's Big Bad Media and all proceeds will go the Red Cross Pakistan Funds Appeal. Is so long since I've written anything new and this is flash fiction - just 500 words - a perfect length from energy p.o.v but you can still say a lot. I'm delighted to be part of such a great project. I could barely watch the most recent Channel 4 report on this catastrophe. One baby - a wee scrap, almost nothing more than his huge brown eyes - suffering from severe malnutrition and the worst strain of malaria. I had to look away.

4 comments:

trousers said...

I'm glad you're included in this. Great news.

nmj said...

Thanks, both. TSoM being published was fabulous but it also took a huge amount from me physically - and emotionally with all the ups & downs - so two years on I am still pretty cautious about any kind of creative writing - even a small piece has its demands and I had to be strict with myself and not overdo it editing this one-page story. But the important thing is that the story helps raise much needed funds. And I am very much looking forward to reading the other stories. Flash fiction is a different kind of narrative, restrained, of course, but you can still have a story rest on one beautiful detail.

Digitalesse said...

Well done! And for a very good cause too.

Mim said...

Good work, good works!